Monday, January 17, 2011

Dummy Cakes

Saturday, January 15:
Began making some dummy cakes this week. I had ordered stryrofoam cakes bases to cover and decorate for shows and expos coming up. Covering real cakes is so much easier. I had gone with a place to get more fondant because they had a great price. Be careful for the "deals" that are out there. We are finding that the fondant is not up to par. It feels dryer and cracks much easier. We are trying some things to overcome this, but in the future, I am going to go with getting fondant from my usual place, even if it is more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Sunday, January 16:
So we found a remedy to our dry fondant problem.... Pam cooking spray. That stuff is awesome!! So after recovering from the fondant issue, away we plugged along. Working on a 4 tier wedding cake. I decided to go with different covering techniques to show.
The first cake is a circle 4" white covered cake. The bottom tier is the quilt pattern, the second is covered in 1" flowers, the third is covered in decorative piping, and the top tier is beaded. I carried the flowers up to the top with the small flowers and made Calla Lilys to put on the top and a few on the side. This would be nice for a spring wedding. Some other flowers that would have liked on top would have been light pink roses. Truthfully I wanted to change the calla lilys for the roses but it was too late. The lilys had already set up on top and it would have destroyed the top tier to change it.

Monday, January 17:
The next cake I have to do is a 4 tier modern square wedding cake. I am still deliberating over which idea I will use for this one. Following that will be a 3 tier circular cake. Deliberating here as well since I have so many ideas. It will definitely be something bright and colorful. Send in your ideas or colors that are your favorite. Perhaps you may see it on a cake coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment